Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do you have a ceremony backup plan for inclement weather?

A:  Yes. The ceremony will take place inside the venue.  We create an aisle and your guests sit at tables.


Q: Do you have indoor bathrooms with handicap accessibility?

A: Yes. We have beautiful indoor bathrooms with full handicap accessibility.


Q: Does this venue meet all local township and building codes?

A. Yes. The Millcreek Wilde meets all local and state fire, handicap, electric, plumbing and building codes. 


Q:  Is the barn air conditioned?

A:  No. But the barn is equipped with several fans and all the windows and doors open as needed. Both the bridal & groom spaces have available air conditioning at no additional charge. Our sister venue, Sundance Studios, has a air conditioned dance hall.


Q:  Is the barn heated?

A: Yes. We have heaters available.  In the months of May and October we require a prepaid $250 surcharge. If the heat is not needed on the day of your event the surcharge will be refunded. If your event is not in May or October and you'd like to utilize the heaters, a 2-day notice and $250 surcharge will ensure we can get them set up for your event. Both the bridal & groom spaces have available heating at no additional charge.

Q: Can we choose a caterer of our choice? 

A: Yes, you can choose a caterer of your choice or choose a caterer off our wonderful local vendors list 

Q.: Can we bring our own food? 

A. No. In fact, we require meals to be supplied by a professional caterer or the catering department of a grocer (Hardings, Whole Foods etc.)  You are welcome to have a friend bake your cake, cookies, pies or cupcakes but please keep food safety concerns in mind by avoiding ingredients that easily spoil.


Q: What time do couples normally schedule their ceremony?

A: The timeline is yours to plan but we do recommend that a ceremony takes place between 3:30 and 5:00 p.m. to give you & your vendors time to get ready & set up.

Q: Can we hire our own bartender or bartending service?

A:  No. We require all reserving parties that plan to serve alcoholic beverages at their event to hire  Luther Events. You will email them with an idea of what you would like to serve, number of guests and an event timeline and they will email you back an estimate. Please request our preferred vendor list for their email address.


Q:  Can we supply the ingredients needed for our alcoholic beverages.

A:  Yes.  We highly suggest purchasing through Sue Luther’s supplier: Liquor Cabinet in St. Joseph, MI. Liquor Cabinet also owns the Kegerator equipment at The Millcreek Wilde. They will deliver Co2, tap the kegs, ice and cups and any ingredients you purchase from Liquor Cabinet. We are certain you will love the top notch service from this preferred vendor and the refund you'll receive for any unopened purchases you have left over at the end of your event.


Q: Does our reservation include an event rehearsal?

A: Yes. We offer a complimentary 1-hour rehearsal the day before event.

Friday events rehearse on Thursday evening from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.

Saturday events rehearse on Friday morning from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.

Sunday events rehearse on Saturday morning from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.


Q: Can we purchase additional setup time for our event?

A: Yes. Please email us for information.


Q: Can we choose our own vendors ? 

A: Yes. With the exception of the bartender.  We ask that you please check with us before hiring a vendor that's not on our preferred vendor list. We want to ensure your event team is made up of reputable professionals who have your best interests in mind.

Q: Most of our guests do not live in the area. Where would they stay?

A: There are many choices for  guest accommodations in the area. See the Location section of our website. 


Q:  What is the security deposit for and what is the reason you are asking this of me?

A: We require a credit card number be on file with The Barns Management for incidentals, broken rules or damage (like a hotel does). The card is NOT charged up front. This is asked of you so that you will help us preserve the condition of the property for future weddings like previous couples did for you. The security deposit form is included with your rental agreement and is due no later than 2-weeks before your event.


Q:  Is my non-refundable deposit to book refundable? 

A:  No – The $850 event deposit is not refundable. The deposit amount is applied to the full rental fee. The remaining balance is due 6 months prior to your wedding date.


Q:  Will you hold my date while I look around at other venues? 

A: No. We've tried holding dates over the years but we've found that it's only fair for everyone to book dates with a signed rental agreement and paid event deposit.

Q: What county do we apply for our marriage license in? 

A:  MillCreek is in Van Buren County in Keeler Township.  For more info please visit

Q:  Can we have a pet in our ceremony?

A:  No. We love our pets too. We tried this many many times - it just did not work for the couple or the barns grounds. 


Q: Can we set up yard games?

A. Yes. Yard games are allowed in the lawn directly behind the dining hall. They are not allowed in either ceremony site. 


Q: Is smoking allowed inside the venue?

A: No. Smoking is not allowed inside the venue. Smoking is allowed outside the venue in designated areas but not by the entrance.